In 1946, Rev. Victor Erickson, who was employed by the Iowa and Dakota Baptist Conferences as their state missionary, was called for the specific purpose of planting new Baptist General Conference churches. One of the first areas to be surveyed was Yankton, SD, and in September 1947, several interested families were located. Two families who later became charter members were the O.H. Rulon and Chris Hanson families.
At first, prayer meetings were held at the Chris Hanson home, located at 710 Walnut Street, and in October 1947 Sunday Services were held at the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, located at 408 West 6th Street. Rev. Glen Pickett came in June 1948 to become the first full-time pastor of the group.